Friday, June 25, 2010

Joe's 40th: Day 1

Sorry for the delay in getting all the fun posts up about Joe's birthday. It really sucks not having internet at home and since all my picture are on my computer, I can't blog at work. (Not that I would ever do that, I am a model employee...)

Anyway, you saw the video of the big surprise. Joe was absolutely shocked and completely thrilled. He hasn't seen his sister and niece since last Easter and has really missed them. That first night they were here (Wednesday) we all just hung out and everyone got caught up. And Joe finally got to open his presents.

Oh, and I decorated for his big day:




Before we go on, I have to tell you a quick story. So, I had this great idea of baking Joe a birthday cake. I went though all this trouble buying a new cake pan, and figuring out how to bake a round cake (I know this sounds pathetic, but I am definitely not a baker). I took it out of the oven and it actually looked good! I put it on a plate to cool and took Jackson out for a walk. I thought I would frost it when I got back.

Well, when I walked in from our walk, Ava came running out of the kitchen licking her lips. When she saw me she jumped into her chair and ducked her head. She knows when she has done something bad.

I looked into the kitchen, expecting to find the cake in a mess on the floor with a broken plate. Instead, I found this:


I did not move that plate back for the picture. This is exactly where it was, and somehow, she managed to jump up enough times to actually eat the cake OFF the plate, instead of knocking the plate down. I honestly have no idea how she did it.

I was so pissed, I couldn't even look at her, and just left the cake as is and walked out, since I had to head to the airport to pick up our guests. I was so bummed. I really wanted Joe to have a nice, home-baked cake for his birthday.

(Samantha, Joe's niece, ended up coming to my rescue. She was so sweet. I told her the story and after having a good laugh when she saw the cake, she cut out the nibbled portion, frosted the cake, and made it edible. She's a sweetheart.)

Anyway, on with the festivities that first night.

Joe still in shock after seeing the girls (and scolding Ava).

Sitting down for snacks (you can see the frosted cake in this picture).

Opening presents.

More presents.

Joe got some great stuff. He got a full outfit from my mom - pants, shirt, tie, as well as some awesome chocolates straight from Ghirardelli Square and some San Francisco Giants peanuts. (My mom just returned from California.) I got him a little stuffed 'green monster' to commemorate his first Red Sox game, and some Red Sox pins to wear to the game. And then his sister's family and his mom and dad went in together to buy him an ipod! He has been wanting one forever and they got him the top-of-the-line model. He's totally excited to start downloading stuff to it. (And I'm pumped because now we have an ipod for our wedding, haha)

Then, to end the night, we had to celebrate with a shot of Don Julio. It just doesn't get better than that!


It really couldn't have turned out any better. Everyone had a great time and really kicked off Joe's birthday week in style.

Next up, our trip to Boston and the Boston Red Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment