Friday, October 1, 2010

Some Thoughts at 10 Days to Go

When Joe and I got engaged, I had no idea the roller coaster we would be on over the next ten months. I thought it would be easy and fun and that everything would just go along as it went along. I had no idea what went into planning a wedding - the money, the stress, the highs, the lows, etc. But the main thing that has really hit me lately is how people really surround you.

It's really humbling the outpouring of love that we have received since getting engaged. We are so lucky to have family and friends who are so happy for us, as I know not everyone has that support. For one, my parents have been so incredibly generous in helping to fund my perfect wedding. When I told them I fell in love with a wedding dress that was a feeew extra dollars over what I originally told them I would spend, they didn't bat an eye. I think my dad said, "Do you love it? Then it's yours." My mom has also talked me down off the ledge more than once. I think she has gotten good at that. I can be a tad bit emotional.

Also, I can't believe we have been given three different wedding showers. The first thrown by my bridesmaid and good friend Heidi because she wanted me to have the experience of celebrating my engagement with the people I loved, since I was so far away. The second thrown by my cousin and bridesmaid Christi, who wanted to bring my side of the family together to celebrate. And the third thrown by my future in-laws who wanted to usher me into the family in their own special way.

Speaking of my in-laws, I don't think they could be any more welcoming and excited about this wedding. This is even more important to me because Joe has been married before. They don't treat our wedding as anything other than the most exciting event in Joe's life - which I really appreciate. They are so excited and happy for us and that means so much to me.

My cousin came to my rescue in a very important way during this wedding process and we have become much closer because of it. I couldn't be happier about that.

Everyone in my wedding party have helped me put this shindig together, which has created a huge network of people involved that all come back to a shared core. My photographer is Christi's good friend. My hair stylist is Heidi's mother-in-law. My iPod DJ is Heidi's sister-in-law. My second reception photographer is Stuart's brother. Not to mention friends of ours who are participating in big ways - our officiant was Joe's classmate and our florist is an amazing friend we made in Maryland. People are stepping up from all ends and creating this huge community that will be our wedding. I can't tell you how much I love that, and how lucky I feel that people want to be involved.

I will admit, I've had my highs and lows, I've laughed, I've cried, I've yelled in happiness and yelled in frustration. I know our wedding is not going to be perfect, things will go wrong, it won't meet everyone's expectations of how a wedding should go, but it will be ours. And we will get to share it with all of these people who love us. And that is perfect.

Thank you, everyone, for being there and helping to make this wedding what it is. 10 days to go. I'm ready.

3 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo! It's going to be great! And someday, even if it's 10 years from now, you'll laugh at the things that went wrong. It sounds like you're getting a great husband and second family, and I hope you're super pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely pumped! I figure if things go wrong, it will just give us something to talk about for years to come! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so very blessed to have so many wonderful people supporting you. I'm sure all of your emotional highs and lows are very normal but in the end, it will be the perfect day - no matter what unexpected things may happen. It will be perfect because it will be yours. Congratulations Heather - Hugs!

    ReplyDelete